Bad breath, also known as “halitosis,” can happen to anyone for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it is just temporary; in other instances, there can be more serious causes.
Whatever the reason, seeking general dentistry at our Norfolk, MA dental clinic will enable our dentists to conduct a thorough examination and provide you with solutions to get your breath smelling clean and fresh.
Causes of Bad Breath
Sometimes bad breath is a result of poor oral hygiene or an unhealthy diet. Some other common reasons include:
- Failure to seek out general dentistry twice a year with dental examinations and dental cleanings
- Odor-causing foods and beverages, such as garlic, onions, and coffee
- An oral infection such as gum disease
- Dry mouth, either caused by nature, medication, or dehydration
- Medical conditions, including cancer, sinus infections, or kidney or lung disease
- Lifestyle habits such as smoking or other tobacco use
What You Can Do About Bad Breath
Here are some things you can try at home to overcome your halitosis:
- Stay hydrated to avoid dry mouth
- Eat a healthy diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Stay current with biannual cleanings and checkups at the dentist
- Practice good oral hygiene at home, including brushing your tongue
- Avoid bad habits such as smoking or using tobacco products
If bad breath persists despite your best efforts, you should speak to general dentistry experts such as the friendly, experienced team at Norfolk County Dental Care. Our dentists can conduct a thorough examination to determine whether there is an underlying problem causing your bad breath.
Contact Our Dental Office to Make an Appointment
For your questions on general dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, or restorative dentistry, we welcome your call to our Norfolk, MA family dental practice. Give us a call today! We warmly welcome new patients.